Saturday, September 25, 2010

Arizona Beauties (Part 2)

How about some nice slices of sunshine from this populous apartment pie here in Arizona?

I'll start with two special people I dubbed the "Resident DJs" in my own head within our first days here because one or the other of them can be counted on to share their voluminous music with our neighborhood at least once a week. Also, they were two who introduced themselves and welcomed us (on separate occasions) during our first week here. They are Ron and Andy.

Beginning with Ron, because in all honesty, he (and Miss Claire, but I'll get to her later...) was the first person I took note of because of his pleasant, carrying voice, so easily heard from atop our balcony or indoors. I can see him now, with his hands on his hips, in mock indignance, "Are you saying I have a big mouth, Gina?" No, Ron, I'm only saying that your merry and audible voice was a sign of your encompassing friendly heart before I even knew you!


Ron, with his boom box, playing dance party and pop-rock music like Crazytown, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Antebellum--for the neighborhood to enjoy from his front patio or at the pool. Ron who is so good with all kids of any age; out of the blue bearing gifts of popscicles or bitty tubes of bubbles so attractively nestled in tiny gift bags that my daughter, for one, loved as much as the bubbles themselves. The necklace, she loved it, Ron. Thank you. Ron who can be counted on to play catch or tag at the pool; who has no problem telling it like it is; and who I would've loved to have as my math teacher in high school. I think your students are lucky to have you, Ron.

Andy: our other Resident DJ, who plays heavy metal, alternative, and classic rock, like the Scorpions, Nirvana, and Frampton for our patch of neighborhood.

Hey, Andy, did you ever think that some other person in your life would write publicly about you again? Of course, this isn't Readers' Digest. You introduced yourself and welcomed us, and then you asked if your music was too loud (and you asked again on another day, "Are you sure it's not too loud?") and I told you that your music was fine and that I liked your music. But maybe you thought I was just being nice. I wasn't. My first concert was Dio with Metallica opening, back in 1985; I was fourteen. Then Ozzy the next year. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were my favorite bands in high school. I've expanded my repertoire since then; I like all music (except maybe the mega-mega-headbanging music of today--a sign of my age?).

Andy, who lives kitty-corner from our apartment on the ground level, who I often noticed sitting quietly observant on his patio just like me up on my stoop. (I only guessed the observant part, but found out later I was right when he'd told me that he'd thought we were smuggling family members into our 600 sq. ft. apartment to secretly live, after a misunderstanding when he'd spoken to Joel our first day here, and later seeing my family come to visit for a week...)

Andy who mostly keeps to himself except when he has invited the neighborhood to partake of his grand and glorious grilled feasts. Andy who when we first became friends only a month ago, was dismayed when I revealed to him that I was a vegetarian and could not eat the delectable smoked chicken he was offering to my family and me for dinner that night. Andy, who then prepared a platter half filled with various grilled meats and half with chopped cabbage, cukes, carrots, celery, tomatoes...along with sticky rice, grilled corn on the cobb, homemade salsa, real Hawaiian soy sauce and corn chips to boot! Andy who has fed my family dinner on numerous occasions since that first plentiful platter; who opened his home to all on Labor Day for intermingling and feasting and fun among his family and friends. His mom, Rita a mini ball of energy, who is so warm and gracious and friendly and whom I loved talking to that day. Thanks for inviting us, Andy. And I'm so happy for you to have your boys back.

--How about Andy's Convivial Concoctions for your Food Network TV show name? Or just The Desert Chef like Joel suggested? Andy the Taciturn Grill Master?

Trish and Brett, parents of the loveable toddling Tucker, who just moved into the place diagonally below us a month ago from their old apartment across the street. The new location is so much better for Tucker who gets to play with all the other kids on our patch of grass out front. Gracie loves having Tucker so near and she loves the lemonade slushies and popscicles that Trish so generously hands out to the neighborhood kids; so refreshing on these hot Arizona days. And Brett, I've appreciated our talks about meteorites and life, and the way you swooped right in with your first aid kit (and band-aid) when Gracie hurt her knee that one "block-party" night. She told me before bed, "That was so nice of Brett to help me fix my knee tonight, wasn't it, Mom?" Yes, it was, Grace. Thanks, Brett.

And how about the boisterously spirited Miss Claire from Jamaica who lives on the flourishing second storey across the street? Our whole family noticed, on our first day here, not only the lush plant life up there, but also the luscious livelihood of Miss Claire, who like Ron, has a knack for being heard by many when she speaks. (She's probably more gifted than Ron, I must say.) Miss Claire who enjoys our barking Beagle, Daisy, and whom I've spoken to from ground level while walking Daisy as she calls down to us from her perch, sometimes while we are still across the street on our side. Miss Claire whom I finally had the privilege of shaking hands with and learning her name only last weekend. It's been an honor, Miss Claire.

Dan and Patricia, parents to Dom and Kaydence; our downstairs friends. They know when Grace gets too ranbunctious at night when she plays with our cat, Tonky (sorry); they know when we are walking to the kitchen for a snack; and they know when we are up in the night using the shower or toilet. Somehow hearing their movements (we only know when they're in the bathroom or going outside) and knowing that they hear ours has made me feel completely safe despite the scary stories of this area, when it's just Gracie and me at night (with only our big, bad cat and dog to protect us).

Dan and Trish who welcome Gracie into their home daily and take her frisbee-golfing weekly. Dan and Trish who so generously offered their time and energy to watch Grace and Daisy so Joel and I could have an overnight date, which we never took them up on, time went by too quickly, but we are so touched and grateful to have had the option where before we had none. And of course, they did take care of Tonky while we went to the Grand Canyon for a few days, thanks again, guys.

Trish, with her salty sass and tough-girl 'tude who really does have a big heart and a soft spot for strays...not just the four legged kind. Trish with her frisbee-golfing get-up of shorty-shorts, bikini top, bandanna head gear, and hot pink tube socks to balance it all out--it's all perfectly Patricia.

And Dan, mellow and warmhearted who also once "rescued" Gracie when she wiped out on a scooter one day (he also got her down from a tree when she was afraid and stuck, just like a kitten). The Hello Kitty ice-pack that he procured had the power to put a smile on her crying face. Dan who talks doggie-talk to our Daisy; they share a reciprocal love. (I think Dom shares that same love.) Dan, who can be counted on for long and easy genial conversations about nothing and everything. I will miss our evening talks outside while watching our kids play.

I will miss having Dom and Kaydence up to our apartment to help Grace and Daisy wreak havoc and have a blast while doing it. I will miss listening to the hilarities that spill from Dom and Kaydence's mouths. I will miss those rare glimpses of that same saltiness in Kaydence that I see in Trish; she's tenaciously adorable. I miss already that we didn't get to do more together with the kids; I loved watching Dom and Grace dazzle the ladies at the Desert Museum with their vast knowledge of rocks and fossils and carnivores and herbivores and omnivores. Maybe they would've been offered Saturday jobs at the planetarium, too.

I will miss our impromtu weekend evening "block parties" with 10 adults chillin' out and 15 kiddies running around our grassy area for hours, stopping only to gaze up at the stars and moon and Saturn for a two minute break before they're off and running again. I will miss little Tucker's one-armed furious flapping as he races back and forth across the lawn. I will miss Andy's excellent salads and beans and rice with homemade salsa and grilled corn. I will miss each and every one of your benevolent faces. Ron, Andy, Miss Claire, Trish, Brett, Tucker, Patricia, Dan, Dom, and Kaydence. And there are more that I've not mentioned who were nothing but nice during our stay here...Jeff and his wife, who also welcomed us our first day, but who live a bit further down so we didn't get to know each other as well, but we always share a friendly greeting when we do see each other. And there are some of whom I don't even know their names but I know their smiles well as they pass by our apartment.

Thank you all for showing us kindness and love while we were your neighbors here in Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment